An online newspaper, also known as a web newspaper, is a newspaper that exists on the World Wide Web or Internet, either separately or as an online version of a printed periodical. Going online created more opportunities for newspapers, such as competing with broadcast journalism in presenting breaking news in a more efficient way. Since print editions are slowly fading away, more and more people are turning to online news for instant news which can be published and managed within minutes.
What You Will Need For Publishing Your Own Newspaper:
You won’t need much to start publishing your own newspaper online. You’ll need access to a computer with an Internet connection and you can manage yourself 24×7 from anywhere in the world. There are many online hosting companies specialized in newspaper industry only. Apart from the regular features the newspaper CMS used to design online papers offer different innovative tools are required to take your online newspaper to a new level.
Tips on choosing the right newspaper website host:
Selecting the right host with the Content Management System designed for newspaper/magazine industry is very important. Here are some tips before you embark on this mission of starting your own newspaper:
1. Features: There are thousands of online newspapers out there, so it’s important that you select a CMS which offers all the features you are looking for so you can compete. You will also find other vendors offering extra charges for add-ons, software versions or software upgrades to further confuse you. Look for software vendor that offers all features in one package.
2. Price/Usability: Since this may be your first time starting an online newspaper, you might want to select a CMS that is cost effective and simple to use. All the controls should be available online and you should not go for companies requiring installation of some codes on your machine.
3. Trial/Money Back Guarantee: This is very important as you are also trying out the product and not sure if this CMS would fulfill your requirements. Look out for the hassle free money back guarantee.
4. Contracts or Support Fee: Do not go in for companies where you are obligated to sign contracts. If they bound you by contracts then they are bound to hamper your growth. Look for newspaper hosting companies that offer FREE 24/7 support system.
5. How old is the company: It is important that you know how many years has the newspaper hosting company been in business, if it’s fairly new then you and him are both new to this business and trying out things. You’ll want a hosting provider with extensive experience supporting the newspaper template you’ve selected.
6. Clients: If the company has a good client showcase on its homepage then it’s a reputed company unlike others who keep it hidden. Go through the showcase and review the features it has to offer as well.
7. Google them: Search for different keyword searches such as online newspaper software, newspaper templates, etc., you …
The world is changing so rapidly that all the things I grew up with are slowly disappearing. Vcrs, Tapes, My Hairline, and now even the traditional newspaper. I can still remember a time, when people waited on the newspaper in the morning.
It was delivered by some unlucky guy who had to wake up at 4 in the morning, to get it ready for the public. In that newspaper, election results were discovered, sports scores were unveiled and executions were confirmed. Yes, the paper has been a true friend to a lot of people. Now the internet has taken a beautiful invention and made it even better.
The power of the web is so incredible and influential. The newspaper was given legs by different groups and it has ran off into the millennium. Now every opinion has been given a digital platform, to plead it’s case to the world. This democracy has given freedom to the deranged thoughts of a couple of individuals, but for the most part it’s been a great combination.
All types of groups have been able to air their concerns, whether it be love, religion, war or politics, no opinion is turned away. Companies like 21 Blackstreet, Bossip, and Black Box have been given a format to present all of their products and services. Online Newspapers, or at least good ones, have kept up with all of the news in a timely manner. They are always up to date and keep readers informed. The Online Newspaper is the heartbeat of a new generation.
Malaysia Online Newspaper
Malaysia as a developing country has seen a lot of development in terms of Information Technology recently. Such development naturally sparks chain reaction to other fields as well, such as the electronic media and to be specific the newspaper. Just a decade ago there was only a handful of on-line newspapers in Malaysia but at the time this article is written, there are 23 on-line newspapers which are currently active in Malaysia.
The newspaper publishers are actually in a dilemma, they are caught in a situation where they can choose to go against the IT mainstream, that is to stay as an offline newspaper publishers or they can choose to follow the mainstream and that is to go on-line. But either way there is a risk involved – if they choose to stay offline, they risk of losing to their competitors as in the news business time is crucial: The one who brings the news the fastest to the readers is the winner.
On the other hand, if they choose to follow the crowd or mainstream, they are losing their revenue from the existing readers as being on-line means free reading. Of course, the content can be tailored or trimmed down so that the paid version has much value-for-money element in it but then again it is a break or make decision to make.
As of now, I can only speculate that there are more good than bad to go …