An online newspaper, also known as a web newspaper, is a newspaper that exists on the World Wide Web or Internet, either separately or as an online version of a printed periodical. Going online created more opportunities for newspapers, such as competing with broadcast journalism in presenting breaking news in a more efficient way. Since print editions are slowly fading away, more and more people are turning to online news for instant news which can be published and managed within minutes.
What You Will Need For Publishing Your Own Newspaper:
You won’t need much to start publishing your own newspaper online. You’ll need access to a computer with an Internet connection and you can manage yourself 24×7 from anywhere in the world. There are many online hosting companies specialized in newspaper industry only. Apart from the regular features the newspaper CMS used to design online papers offer different innovative tools are required to take your online newspaper to a new level.
Tips on choosing the right newspaper website host:
Selecting the right host with the Content Management System designed for newspaper/magazine industry is very important. Here are some tips before you embark on this mission of starting your own newspaper:
1. Features: There are thousands of online newspapers out there, so it’s important that you select a CMS which offers all the features you are looking for so you can compete. You will also find other vendors offering extra charges for add-ons, software versions or software upgrades to further confuse you. Look for software vendor that offers all features in one package.
2. Price/Usability: Since this may be your first time starting an online newspaper, you might want to select a CMS that is cost effective and simple to use. All the controls should be available online and you should not go for companies requiring installation of some codes on your machine.
3. Trial/Money Back Guarantee: This is very important as you are also trying out the product and not sure if this CMS would fulfill your requirements. Look out for the hassle free money back guarantee.
4. Contracts or Support Fee: Do not go in for companies where you are obligated to sign contracts. If they bound you by contracts then they are bound to hamper your growth. Look for newspaper hosting companies that offer FREE 24/7 support system.
5. How old is the company: It is important that you know how many years has the newspaper hosting company been in business, if it’s fairly new then you and him are both new to this business and trying out things. You’ll want a hosting provider with extensive experience supporting the newspaper template you’ve selected.
6. Clients: If the company has a good client showcase on its homepage then it’s a reputed company unlike others who keep it hidden. Go through the showcase and review the features it has to offer as well.
7. Google them: Search for different keyword searches such as online newspaper software, newspaper templates, etc., you might use for your newspaper template search. Hosting companies do their best to guess the keywords that you might use.
8. Sales and Customer Care: Just because you are buying online does not mean no customer service to start with. For any questions contact them either in writing or call them on their sales number.
9. Customized Templates: Make sure that the CMS you choose is flexible enough to fit in any custom specifications required for your online newspaper. Provide the hosts the sample custom format and ask them about its feasibility with their platform.
10. Hidden Costs: Enquire about the charges that will be applicable, you don’t want to be paying extra for any non-applicable setup, hosting, maintenance or customized charges.
Today more and more newspapers are going live including weeklies and monthlies from small towns to big towns around the world. Online publishers are drawing large amounts of traffic and reaping the rewards of online publishing including mobile devices. Happy CMS hunting for all you publishers and have some fun. You will be blown away by what is out there and how it will revolutionize your business.